Alloa Athletic v Cove Rangers

2 - 2
Full Time

KO KO 6 19 36 45 58 60 62 64 64 64 69 78 80 80 82 87 FT



In an impressive start to Brian Rice’s Alloa career, the Wasps held the league leaders at home.

Alloa set up in a 3-4-1-2 with Scougall coming in from last week’s win at Dumbarton for Jon Robertson in the only change.

The home side started like a house on fire. After only 5 minutes Alloa had taken the lead through captain Andy Graham as he rolled a close range effort under McKenzie. Alloa continued to pick holes in the Cove defence and it was like the Wasps had the extra man.

After finding that expanse of space on the right Scougall ghosted past Reynolds to create an overload, squared to Sammon who slotted in the free Steven Boyd and the former Hamilton forward slotted a composed finish past McKenzie to double the lead.

Again Alloa would have their moments for a third only being thwarted by perhaps the wrong decision making in the final third. Former boss Paul Hartley now in charge of Cove Rangers quickly shuffled his formation though and Cove almost brought themselves back into the game. Masson rose highest to head a sublime Milne delivery on the outside of the post and later had another header smartly saved by Hutton at the back post in Cove’s only dangerous moments of the first half.

Although the Wasps started tentatively in the second half they were first to call either keeper into action with McKenzie making a desperate palm away before Steven Boyd’s cross reached Cawley.

The tables would soon be weighted against the Wasps when Robertson, who had just come on the park, raised a high foot. Despite swiping away the ball, he caught Vigurs high and the referee charged over to show the straight red card. A real blow for Alloa.

Cove would have the advantage of numbers but Alloa remained resolute. They were in fact unlucky not to have reduced Cove down to 10 themselves as Morgyn Neill chopped down Sammon from behind while the striker’s footwork sent him through on goal. A clear denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity but a yellow was deemed fit by the referee.

Alloa would hold out to 81 minutes when Milne whipped in another special cross. Ola Adeyemo headed home from 7 yards and the pressure was on to hold the lead.]

But goal machine Rory McAllister was also on the park and after 85 minutes was freed by Kai Fotheringham to dink high over Hutton and break Alloa hearts.

A strong performance considering the calibre of the league leaders but their 17 game unbeaten run deserved to come to an end against the Wasps.

Alloa Athletic

31David Hutton Goalkeeper
6Mark Durnan Defender
5Andy Graham Defender 6'
2Scott Taggart Defender
7Kevin Cawley Midfielder 60'
16Adam King 8 Midfielder
19Mouhamed Niang Defender
3Daniel Church Defender
12Stefan Scougall 28 Midfielder
11Steven Boyd Forward 19'
18Conor Sammon 9 Forward
21Keir Burt Goalkeeper
23Fernandy Mendy Defender
8Jon Robertson 16 Midfielder 62'
9Ben Armour 18 Forward
17Jordan Armstrong Defender
28Blaise Riley-Snow 12 Midfielder
20Cameron O’Donnell Midfielder
4Craig Howie Defender

Cove Rangers

1Stuart McKenzie Goalkeeper
2Morgyn Neill Defender 69'
3Harry Milne Defender
4Connor Scully 27 Midfielder
5Scott Ross Defender 36'
8Blair Yule Midfielder
9Mitch Megginson 11 Forward
10Jamie Masson 13 Midfielder
16Iain Vigurs Midfielder
24Fraser Fyvie 17 Midfielder
26Mark Reynolds Defender 45'
11Leighton McIntosh 9 Forward
13Rory McAllister 10 Forward 87'
17Ola Adeyemo 24 Forward 82'
20Robbie Leitch Midfielder
23Kyle Gourlay Goalkeeper
27Kai Fotheringham 4 Midfielder

Past Meetings


Indodrill Stadium
Indodrill Stadium, Alloa