Alloa Athletic v Dundee United

0 - 2
Full Time


The Wasps can be proud of their displays against Dundee United for the second time this season in cup competions, but again it was to be “What might have been”. Alloa started the game on the front foot and should have went ahead in the opening minute, when the returning Jordan Kirkpatrick on loan from St. Mirren volleyed over the bar in great position inside the box.

Back came “The Wasps” who were pushing forward and putting United under pressure, Iain Flannigan went close, Kevin Cawley was unfortunate to lose out when ball stuck between his legs and Jordan Kirkpatrick then was denied by a point blank save by Harry Lewis.

Alloa Athletic needed to get the first goal which few in the Stadium would have argued they didn’t deserve, but fell behind a minute before half-time when Mark Durnan headed home at the back post to the relief of the travelling Dundee United support.

Jim Goodwin’s men were always in the tie and pushed forward at every opportunity, Scott Taggart being a constant threat on the right side of the park.

United were an improved side in the second half and had a lot of the possession but did not trouble Neil Parry in the Alloa goal. However after 62 minutes their new Danish striker Emil Lyng scored his first goal for the club with a huge slice of fortune as his shot deflected off Callum Crane and went over keeper Neil Parry’s head, it was not to be Alloa’s day.

With time running out, “The Wasps” looked to have a good penalty appeal when United defender Jamie Robson appeared to bring down Kevin Cawley inside the box.



Up until losing the goal on the stroke of half-half, I thought we had done great; the game plan was working to a T. We nearly got off to the dream start when Jordan Kirkpatrick almost notched one in from a couple of yards out. I’m really proud of the players to be honest with you they gave absolutely everything; I thought they made it very difficult for Dundee United this afternoon and our team talk was all geared up for coming in at half-time at 0-0. The set play was disappointing; we are normally very good defensively at them but Andy Graham gets blocked in the build up to it and that’s why Mark Durnan ends up with a free header at the back post.

We never lost belief it was all very positive at half-time, I felt we were comfortable, although we were allowing Dundee United to build from the back we felt we were closing all the gaps for them, they had a lot of possession but it was mainly in front of us. Neil Parry up until the corner kick, I think he had one save from a free kick and even in the second half he made one good save with his feet other than that they scored from a corner in the last minute of the first half and scored a deflected goal for the second. We are disappointed because I really felt it was a good opportunity for us today, Dundee United were coming into the game not on a great run of form, so we felt if we got at them and pressed them high up the pitch then we could possibly make it a nervy afternoon for them, if we had got that first goal I would like to have seen how the game would have went then.

Dundee United are a good side they have some very good players with good experience as well, I have to give them credit for the way they try to play, they very rarely play long balls and look to play out from the back, but the bottom line is Dundee United are in the hat for the next round and we are not so good luck to them.


Indodrill Stadium
Indodrill Stadium, Alloa