Alloa Athletic v Elgin City

2 - 0
Full Time

“The Wasps” edged their way into the second round of this season’s Co-operative Insurance Cup after Robbie Williamson’s Third Divison side Elgin City had competed for long spells in the game. Alloa still seemed to be suffering from their opening day defeat in the league at Arbroath, but as always the opening goal was always going to be crucial. Indeed Francis Kelly was unfortunate not to give Alloa the lead in the opening minutes after his 25 yard strike rebounded off the cross bar. Elgin City gave a good account of themselves but found Raymond Jellema in good form when called upon. Substitute Andy Scott broke the deadlock in 71 minutes after being set up by Kyle MacAulay. Alloa we relieved to get in front and thereafter settled and started to play football. Francis Kelly scored Alloa’s second goal his first goal for the first team. Alloa now progress to the second round of the tournament with the 2nd round ties due to be played on Tuesday 26th August, 2008.


allan maitland after elgin city

I think tonight’s game is indicative of a team that got beat 4-1 on Saturday and it took us probably 65 minutes before we even started playing football, it looked as though we had a hangover from Saturday – hopefully we got that out of our system in the last 25 minutes when we actually started passing the ball and looking a bit better. I think great credit has to go to Elgin City who came here and played better than us for long spells especially in the first half and were a bit unlucky not to be ahead at half time.  We are relieved to be through and delighted to be through and so far this season we are a good cup team and poor league team, although we will look to change that on Saturday as I said it was a decent exercise and we are relieved to be through.

robbie williamson – elgin city

Obviously disappointed to get knocked out but I though we competed very well for long parts of the game, when they brought the subs on and it changed the shape of the game a bit and the boy Stevenson caused us a lot of problems up front. I thought we battled and made a good game of it – we tried to get the ball down like Alloa and tried to play football. Unfortunately, we just can’t seem to get a goal at the moment, their keeper had a couple of good saves, especially the one just before half time but credit to Alloa they upped it after they went in front with 20 minutes to go and in the end were deserved winners.



Indodrill Stadium
Indodrill Stadium, Alloa