Dundee v Alloa Athletic

2 - 1
Full Time


“The Wasps” lost a last minute goal at Dens Park today against Alba Challenge Cup holders Dundee to lose 2-1, in a game five minutes earlier they looked like progressing to the next round. Alloa Athletic, who are the last team to beat Dundee in the Challenge Cup having defeated the Dens Park side 2-1 at Recreation Park in Season 2008/09 can again take great credit from the game. Dundee started the game the stronger side and although they had the best of the first half play, they had little or no penetration. In the second half Alloa grew with confidence and took the lead on 74 mins when Scott Walker headed in a Kevin McDonald cross. Two minutes later the game could have been all over when Andy Scott curled a 25 yard shot of the crossbar with Scott Fox beaten. However four minutes from time substitute Colin McMenamin headed home a great cross from debutant Gary Irvine and in the final minute with the home side side now looking more direct, the ball broke kindly for other substitute Sean Higgins who lashed home a shot past Alloa keeper Robertson for a late winner the home side barely deserved.

Alloa Athletic v. Dundee
Alba Challenge Cup
Saturday 24th July, 2010 Kick-Off 3.00pm

1. Stephen Robertson                               1. Scott Fox
2. Billy Gibson                                          2. Gary Irvine Bkd 89m
3. Mark Brown Bkd 62m                         3. Craig Forsyth
4. Michael Dunlop                                    4. Brian Kerr
5. Scott Walker                                        5. Craig McKeown
6. John Grant Bkd 37m                            6. Kyle Benedictus
7. Andy Scott                                           7. Nicky Riley
8. Kevin McDonald                                  8. Stephen O’Donnell
9. Bryan Prunty                                         9. Mickael Antoine-Curier
10. Stuart Noble                                      10. Gary Harkins
11. Darren Smith                                      11. Leigh Griffths

12. David Gormley (10) 66m                    14. Sean Higgins (9) 69m
14. James Lister (9) 66m                          15. Eric Paton
15. Jamie Hay                                          16. Colin McMenamin (7) 69m
16. Declan McAvoy (7) 81m                    17. Paul McHale (4) 80m
20. Jamie Ewings                                      20. Rab Douglas

Referee : Euan Norris Assistants: Gordon Middleton & Jeff Banks

1 – 0 Scott Walker (74 mins)
1 – 1 Colin McMenamin (86 mins)
1 – 2 Sean Higgins (90 mins) Crowd – 1,522


allan maitland at dens

I felt at 1-0 that Dundee looked as though they had nothing left to give – I felt we were quite comfortable at 1-0, then Andy Scott hit the bar and obviously had that gone in it could have been game over, but I think to be fair to Dundee the subs made a difference to them, the team looked as though they were a bit flat before that and the subs gave them a bit energy as well. Sean Higgins kept to that small area in the box and Paul McHale got further up the park so that gave us a wee bit more of a problem and something more to think about but even at that I didn’t think our goal keeper had any saves to make. Andy Scott coming off was a problem for us because he was making clever runs he was causing them a problem, in doing so keeping Gary Harkins further back and when he came of Declan McAvoy who is a natural left back was playing in a more defensive role which allowed Dundee to come into that area, particularly Gary Irvine. It was a great ball for the goal and a great header by Colin McMenamin, but we were a bit unlucky that our keeper didn’t save it. I thought we were really unfortunate to lose the game but these things happen – we were under pressure, and a the shot breaks off Mark Brown and fell kindly to Sean Higgins who initially looked off side but I presume he wasn’t, however it’s a good finish although Stephen Robertson got a hand to it – the power forced the ball over the line. We allowed Dundee a lot of the ball and asked them to break us down to start with, in the first 15 minutes of the match I though Dundee were miles better than Alloa we didn’t show any composure during that spell but once we sorted it out and brought Stuart Noble a bit deeper and tidied that up I thought we defended really well against them – I can’t remember our goalkeeper making too many saves. I knew we would get a chance at some stage and our goal was a great finish from Scott Walker from a Kevin McDonald cross and I think the two defining moments of the game were – Andy Scott’s shot of the cross bar which would have made it 2-0 and their equalising goal which brought them right back into the game. I am pleased with our performance – it’s a difficult place to come and I thought it was a great performance from the boys and we were a little unfortunate in the end result, but we obviously wish Dundee all the best going forward into the next round and I’m pleased with all my debutants today and it was a good performance, I’m sure the players and our fans can take great credit from this display.

Past Meetings


Dens Park
Kilmac Stadium at Dens Park, Sandeman Street, Maryfield, Dundee, Dundee City, Scotland, DD3 7JY, United Kingdom