"at the heart of the community"

  • Sign In

    Late sting ends cup run 

    Friday, September 23, 2016 5:36:05 PM
    "The Wasps" can be very proud of their display at Parkhead in the Betfred Cup Quarter-Final tie against Scottish champions Celtic on Wednesday evening. It was a spirited team performance which contained Celtic for long spells in the match, with keeper Neil Parry in inspired form. Indeed it was the Celtic fans who were showing frustration in the stands and the Alloa Athletic supporters the ones who were enjoying the ocassion. Alloa did have opportunities themselves an early Greig Spence shot which tested Craig Gordon from distance, before the clash between the same players when Craig Gordon rushed from his goal to foul Greig Spence the biggest talking point of the game. Then just before half-time Ben Gordon's header from Calum Water's free kick nearly going in at the top corner of the net. It had been a fantastic run to the Quarter-Finals stages, the first time the club had reached this stage since season 1965/66 and late into the second half the teams were still level. However with only seven minutes left Celtic broke the deadlock when James Forrest scored and in the final minute Moussa Dembele won the game with the second goal of the evening.
    Alloa Athletic fans unfurl their new flag at Parkhead
    Greig Spence tests keeper Craig Gordon with early effort
    Craig Gordon punches clear under pressure
    Kevin Cawley runs away from Celtic defenders
    Scott Taggart plays ball out of Alloa defence
    Craig Gordon fouls Greig Spence only deemed as booking
    Captain Iain Flannigan with resultant free kick
    Neil Parry makes another fantastic save on evening
    Jim Goodwin is fouled by Scott Brown
    Ben Gordon's header just prior to half-time goes close
    Jon Robertson tries to get Alloa forward in second half
    Jordan Kirkpatrick is closely marked on evening
    Alloa Athletic players applaud supporters at end of match

    Managers Corner