"at the heart of the community"

  • Sign In

    Memories from 1999/2000 

    Friday, April 03, 2015 5:27:13 PM

    Memories of Challenge Cup Final 1999/2000 when Alloa Athletic won in dramatic fashion

    In manager Terry Christie – Alloa had a man who had done it before

    As boss of Stenhousemuir in 1996 he guided them to victory over SPL side Dundee Utd

    Terry Christie told the players to enjoy the occasion and be positive

    On route to final Alloa had won all their ties away from home – Cowdenbeath, Airdrie, Ross County, and neighbours Stirling Albion in the Semi-finals

    First Division – Inverness Caley were favourites to win trophy

    It was Alloa Athletic’s First National Cup Final in their 121 year history at the time

    Alloa Athletic were never behind in the game, being ahead 4 times

    It was an incredible high-powered game which kept the fans spellbound

    As a supporter it was a dream to have “The Wasps” in a National Cup Final

    When the goals were scored                                      

    19 mins    1 - 0  Gary Clark (Alloa)                                              

    28 mins    1 – 1 Barry Wilson (ICT)                              

    33 mins    2 – 1  Mark Wilson (Alloa)                          

    46 mins    2 – 2  Paul Sheerin (ICT) Penalty              

    48 mins    3 – 2  Martin Cameron  (Alloa)                 

    55 mins    3 – 3  Paul Sheerin (ICT) Penalty              

    103 mins  4 – 3 Martin Cameron (Alloa)                     

    112 mins  4 – 4 Paul Sheerin (ICT)                                                                                                                

    Ex Alloa player Paul Sheerin                                       

    Scored hat-trick in game                                           

    Willie Irvine scores first penalty kick 1-0
    Jimmy Boyle penalty 2-1 to "The Wasps"
    Goalkeeper Mark Cairns scores winning penalty kick
    How the penalties were scored:-
    1-0 Alloa   Willie Irvine
    1-0 Mark Cairns saves from Paul Sheerin
    1-0 David Beaton strikes crossbar
    1-1 Mark McCulloch (ICT)
    2-1 Alloa Jimmy Boyle scores
    2-2 Ross Tokely (ICT)
    3-2 Alloa Martin Cameron scores
    3-3 Kevin Byers (ICT)
    4-3 Alloa Ian Little
    4-4 Barry Wilson (ICT)
    5-4 Alloa Mark Cairns scores
    5-4 Mark Cairns saves from Mike Teasdale

    It was a great result but the game was also a great advert for football

    Goalkeeper Mark Cairns emerged as the unlikely hero netting decisive penalty

    A feat he had done before with Gala Fairydean against Whitehill Wealfare

    Martin Cameron Sponsors "man of the Match"

    The game was an emotional rollercoaster for the fans

    Referee Jim McCluskey after he retired named it as being one of the best games he had been part of’

    "It was an unbelievable game of football between two teams who were appearing in their first major cup final and they both just went for it. I was proud to have refereed it.
    Captain Craig Valentine lifts the trophy
    Goalkeeper Mark Cairns kisses the trophy
    The season ended with “The Wasps” gaining promotion

    Managers Corner